Re: multi-symbol variables

On 08/10/2021 04:09, David Farmer wrote:

> Taking this discussion out of GitHub.  I hope this is the right
> place.
>
> The important point which has arisen, which I believe we had not
> discussed previously, is how to mark a multi-letter string as
> representing a single variable.  For example, on this page:
>
> https://www.dummies.com/business/accounting/how-to-calculate-simple-and-compound-interest/
>

> it says
>
> Interest = p \times r \times t .
>
> Here "Interest" is an 8 character string which represents one
> quantity.
>
> This is analogous to the situation in our recent discussions,
> where B' is just one quantity which happens to be a string of
> two characters.  The fact that one of the characters is a prime
> is not the main issue.  I mentioned an example where a_1 was a
> (subscripted) string which also is really just a single variable.
>
> Prior to this week I don't think we had discussed the fact that
> B' is a 2-character quantity, while f' -- assuming that means the
> derivative of f -- is the object f on which ' is acting.
>
> The only point I am trying to make here is that we need a way to
> indicate that a collection of characters is really in indivisible
> unit which represents a single quantity.  The recent discussions were
> made more difficult by the fact that this had not been discussed
> previously.
>
> I suggest that " B' " should be handled the same way as " Interest "
> would be handled in the formula above.
>
> Regards,
>
> David Farmer

logically I agree that "B'" is the same as "Interest" but typographic
details don't always follow logic,.

Interest is <mi>Interest</mi> which does the right thing automatically
due to the rule about multi-letter mi using upright font. So it is easy
in that case to say the default intent is the single name "Interest"

Only the last of these has a natural intent as a single identifier (and
traditionally mathml has been explicit that that form is not correct)

mathml's traditional solution to this was to allow presentation in
content mathml token elements so

is unambiguously a variable name B' but we are trying to do without
content mathml here so..  I think the natural intent to use here would be

on <mi>Interest</mi> is intent="Interest"

or

intent on <mi>Interest</mi> is intent="variable-name" (or some other
known keyword to be decided) that means it's a variable and has natural
reading just by reading the content.

David

Disclaimer

The Numerical Algorithms Group Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales with company number 1249803. The registered office is:
30 St. Giles, Oxford, OX1 3LE, United Kingdom.

This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses and malware, and may have been automatically archived by Mimecast Ltd, an innovator in Software as a Service (SaaS) for business.