Re: an odd ambiguity

The number theoretic function  d(n)  equals the number of
positive divisors of the absolute value of  n .  In symbols:

d(n) = |{ d | d||n| }|

Moving left-right and  outside-in:

d is the name of the function on the left
(that is a common name for that function,  \tau is the other common name)

|A|  cardinality of the set  A

d is a bound variable on the right side
(it actually is common to do that in this context

| "such that" separator

d|  "divides" relation

|n|  absolute value of  n
(That is the only silly part of this example, because the
divisors of  n  are the same as the divisors of  -n ,
so the absolute value is not actually needed.)