Re: [www-math] <none>

On 12/02/2019 17:36, Maria Byrne wrote:

> Dear developers of MathML,
>
> How can I find web content that is written in MathML? I am an instructor
> with a blind student, and I will like to send him the information that
> he can't currently access from his textbook, such as integration tables
> and such. These can be found on lots of web pages, but I don't know how
> to tell if they are in MathML or not. A Calculus textbook in MathMl
> would be really perfect.
>
> It's funny, when I search for "Calculus textbook in MathMl", I just get
> lots and lots of resources on how to write a Calculus textbook in MathMl..
>
> Thank you for your help!
>
> Audi Byrne

It's  not so easy to search for specific markup as mostly search engines
are set up to search the visible text. Also with the current state of
play the MathML may be hidden in various ways while still being
available to screen readers.

wikipedia for example serves its mathematics (by default) as svg or png
but with MathML hidden in a form that should be usable by screen readers
and other assistive technology, see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Displaying_a_formula#Native_MathML

The details depend on your browser and settings but for example if I
view the source of

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integration_by_parts

I see all the mathml hidden via style="display: none;" as for example

style="display: none;"><math xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML"
alttext="{\displaystyle \int _{\Omega }\nabla u\cdot \nabla v\,d\Omega
=\int _{\Gamma }u\,\nabla v\cdot {\hat {\nu }}\,d\Gamma -\int _{\Omega
}u\,\nabla ^{2}v\,d\Omega ,}">
   <semantics>
     <mrow class="MJX-TeXAtom-ORD">
       <mstyle displaystyle="true" scriptlevel="0">
         <msub>
           <mo>&#x222B;<!-- ∫ --></mo>

David

Disclaimer

The Numerical Algorithms Group Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales with company number 1249803. The registered office is:

This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses and malware, and may have been automatically archived by Mimecast Ltd, an innovator in Software as a Service (SaaS) for business.