Re: Sharing MathML data for Firefox

On 24/08/2019 01:02, Hammond, William F wrote:
> I apologize for my ignorance, but I do not know which discussions you
> are here characterizing as the proper channels.  Could you clarify?

The Math WG is on hold so spec discussion has moved to the MathML CG.
See Neil's announcement:
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-math/2019Jan/0000.html

And for browser-specific discussions, these are the usual communication
channels.

> Another question: In regard to the case of removing native support for
> <mfenced>, has thought been given to supplying standard XSLT  for
> expanding it.  I think you had mentioned JavaScript. The question of
> relative speed aside, Javascript operates on a document's object
> module (DOM), whereas XSLT can generate a new document serialization
> that might be sensible for strategic caching.  Also I think that XSLT
> is a better fit for the task than Javascript.

The arguments for proposing Javacript is that it can be easily be
inserted into legacy web pages (for page authors) or for add-ons (for
users), can be executed as a command-line converter (using
nodejs/phantomjs/slimerjs and proper XML/HTML parser modules), works
well will modern web technologies (shadom DOM, custom elements, mutation
observer...) and finally it is easy to read/understand by everybody as
an example (for updating your MathML code, rewriting polyfill a
different language etc). But sure, XSLT is a perfect valid option,
especially when documents are XML.

--
Frédéric Wang