RE: The User Input of Mathematics with Recognition Hints

Nick Felker,

Thank you. I’m a proponent of some sort of recognition hints system for mathematics handwriting and speech recognition.

Were a recognition hints markup to be, for example, metadata-based, we might envision something resembling:

<hints id="hints1">
</hints>

<input type="math" hints="hints1" />

With regard to mathematical subjects, we could make use of some subset of the Mathematics Subject Classification ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematics_Subject_Classification , http://msc2010.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=MSC2010 , http://msc2010.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=97-XX ).
Recognition hints markup could require expressiveness for, beyond plain text literals, XML literals, to indicate multiple user input possibilities in MathML. In some educational exercises and activities scenarios, multiple user input possibilities can be described a priori (for exercises, multiple expected user inputs might be provided as recognition hints; for quiz and exam items, they might not be provided). We might envision something resembling:

<hints id="hints1">
</hints>

<input type="math" hints="hints1" />

Best regards,