Re: update to xml entities draft

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 22:12:41 +0100
To: Murray Sargent <murrays@exchange.microsoft.com>, William F Hammond <hammond@csc.albany.edu>
CC: "www-math@w3.org" <www-math@w3.org>
On 23/06/2015 19:58, Murray Sargent wrote:
> Yes the empty slots in the math alphanumerics are annoying and require
> extra code to navigate around, but as you know the corresponding
> characters already existed in the Unicode Standard when we encoded the
> math alphanumerics (see LetterLike Symbols) and it's Unicode's policy
> not to encode the same character twice (if possible). So at least it's
> relatively easy to calculate where the math alphanumerics are. Without
> the slots it'd be harder.

That's true but the existing ones could have been classified as specific
for their intended use eg

U+2102 DOUBLE-STRUCK CAPITAL C = Complex numbers

leaving
U+1D53A free to be defined as a part of a generic alphabetic run
MATHEMATICAL DOUBLE-STRUCK CAPITAL C

But it's only an annoying quirk, as you say it can be programmed around
so probably not worth changing now, as change introduces its own problems.

David

The Numerical Algorithms Group Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales with company number 1249803. The registered office is:

This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Microsoft Office 365.