Re: Displaystyle and mtable

Frédéric WANG <fred.wang@free.fr> writes in part:

> Alignment
> features are only implemented in MathPlayer and so most
> people use mtable to implement things like
>
> \begin{align*}
> \int_a^b f(x) &= ... \\
>     &= ...
> \end{align*}
>
> where we expect the content to inherit displaystyle. In any
> case, it seems that the spec should be clarified.

For the HTML version of something like LaTeX's "eqnarray" or
AMS's "gather" or "align", a CSS flexible row box (once they
fully arrive) would probably be better than mtable IF there
were a way in that context to set alignment markers.

This should be added to my "Wishes for CSS" that is linked
from my "Rendering Math Using Only CSS", i.e., static CSS,

    http://www.albany.edu/~hammond/demos/purecss/

which represents new work on old ideas (see gellmuart.css
in the 2007 release of GELLMU, still on CTAN) spurred ahead
recently by Frédéric Wang's work on (static) CSS for MathML
using new concepts in CSS.

To the extent that one is just relying on CSS it is
irrelevant that presentation MathML used in the text/html
serialization of HTML 5 lacks markup for such boxes, though
it would be good to have.  One may simply use divs or spans
with suitably customized "class" and "style" attributes, or
for that matter, entirely foreign markup, so long as there
is suitable styling.

                               -- Bill