RE: Questions about Elementary Math

From: Grégory Pakosz <gpakosz@myscript.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 08:29:22 +0000
To: William F Hammond <hammond@csc.albany.edu>
CC: Neil Soiffer <NeilS@dessci.com>, "www-math@w3.org" <www-math@w3.org>
I appreciate the input.

But I'm not really interested in rendering MathML per se, be it with the help of CSS or any other "hack".

In the context of handwriting recognition, what I want is to get a sense of which MathML markup I should produce that could be consumed by any renderer and achieves alignment similar to what's been written.

I attached yet another screenshot in which you can see a handwritten long division in the center, on the left is a LaTeX render achieved using array and on the right is the MathML markup I'm generating so far. As you can see, the fact that the decimal dot takes a column makes me insert <none/> elements to keep things aligned.

Gregory