Re: Operator Dictionary. Non-Normative

On 28/01/2014 12:19, Daniel Marques wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wandering the exact meaning of “non-normative” appearing in
> the Operator Dictionary appendix.
>
> As you already know, at WIRIS, we do edition/input of MathML. We
> decided that parenthesis, among other symbols, are no stretchy by
> stretchy, we needed some kind of predictive tool to match opening
> with closing parenthesis. And because we just decided we did not
> wanted to pass as an oracle, parenthesis ended up being no stretchy.
>
> Daniel Marques from WIRIS

It means exactly that: that technically you are conformant if you do
what you say. That said, the code would be more portable if when
generating you explicitly put <mo stretchy="false">(</mo> rather than
rely on a non-standard default.

You shouldn't really have to match brackets though. MathML stretching is
not like TeX \left...\right that stretches things in pairs. In MathML
each operator stretches independently to the height of its containing mrow.

David