Re: Math Working Group Charter

Le 18/02/2014 18:22, Paul Topping a écrit :

> -The apparent move away from XSL-FO toward CSS for so-called paged
> media, a subset of which is ebooks. There were two papers on this at
> last week’s XML Prague conference.

I think increasing compatibility with CSS should be an important goal
and improvements in native MathML support could help to do that. For
example, I'd like to see addressed the problem with <mstyle> that was
already mentioned on this list in the past (BTW, Gecko will drop support
for most of the unused attributes in the future). Also, the line
breaking could be made more explicit about how to behave with respect to
the CSS linebreaking. At the moment, there is not any MathML
implementation that can handle the basic test case of linebreaking of
math equations inside a HTML table.

> -Web fonts. There might be areas where this technology could be
> improved for math.

This is related to better CSS compatibility but I'm not sure what you
have in mind here. Browsers have now converged towards the WOFF standard
and (math) Web fonts can just be used normally in native MathML
implementations. One of the current issue is that legacy fonts like
STIXGeneral are split into many files and one has to explicitly list all
of them in the CSS stylesheet, which is not very convenient for the Web
authors. However, with Microsoft's Open Type MATH table that became the
de facto standard and was submitted by Murray in January for
standardization, we have a clean way to specify the desired math font
and all its properties using a single file. So that's now more an
implementation issue and that's what I'm working on for Gecko/WebKit
MathML support. Font selection would then become as simple as this:

@font-face {
   font-family: LatinModernMathWOFF;
   src: local("Latin Modern Math"), url('latinmodern-math.woff');
}

math {

See http://www.maths-informatique-jeux.com/ulule/mathml_torture_test/.

--
Frédéric Wang
MathML Crowdfunding: ulule.com/mathematics-ebooks