Re: [mathjax-dev] New menclose notation coming in MathML 3, 2nd edition

I am the one who proposed this notation, so perhaps I should say a word
on this.

First, as I said I've never seen this notation in France so I can't
comment about its usefulness other than believing you that it is (or
was) used at least in K12 math in the US. It's probably not fundamental
to have this notation (even the doc of the cancelto says that striking
formulas is a poor notation), but at least it was implemented
independently in two different projects (LaTeXML and MathJax) with
essentially the same method: menclose updiagonalstrike + a superscript
element. So it was important enough to need an implementation and the
MathML code to choose seems somewhat natural since the two developers
had the same idea. I don't like that menclose notation names don't take
the overall direction into account but here that seemed irrelevant if,
as I believe, it's not used in RTL math (the W3C Arabic Math notes
doesn't mention it). So I thought it was OK to add one menclose notation
for this particular arrow, but I definitely don't see the need for other
striking arrows if there is no use case.

The reason why I proposed this notation is that MathJax used to have a
non-standard class on the menclose element:

  <menclose notation="updiagonalstrike" class="MJX-arrow">...</menclose>

to tell that the updiagonalstrike should have an arrow head. Hence
MathJax rendered the notation visually the same as the cancelto command
but other rendering engines like MathPlayer or Gecko just renders an
updiagonalstrike. Moreover, other TeX to MathML converter like LaTeXML
are not aware of MathJax's non-standard CSS classes and can not achieve
the same rendering via standard MathML (for example Bruce only used an
updiagonalstrike). Obviously, I don't like these specific hacks in
MathJax and I hope these nonstandard MJX-* classes will be implemented
via standard means in the future. In the case of cancelto, the menclose
notation is open-ended so I thought it would be easy to add a new
notation for that. Now MathJax and LaTeXML uses

<menclose notation="updiagonalstrike updiagonalarrow">...</menclose>

and this will be supported by Gecko 24 (to be released next week). I'd
like this to be in MathPlayer too, but even if that's not the case,
MathPlayer will just render the notation "updiagonalstrike" as it has
always done, which is understandable...