Re: New menclose notation coming in MathML 3, 2nd edition

Thanks for the information Neil. I think that should be easy to
implement, indeed. I'll open bug entries for that. BTW, could you also
add the "updiagonalarrow" notation to that list ; I proposed it a few
months ago to implement the LaTeX cancel package (used for example in
LaTeXML and MathJax).

First a remark about deprecated unitless values that I mentioned in the
past. While discussing mfrac@linethickness with a WebKit developer
recently, I noticed that the examples of mfrac still use the deprecated
unitless syntax
(http://www.w3.org/Math/draft-spec/chapter3-d.html#id.3.3.2.3) and this
caused some confusion. I think it would be worth checking all the
definitions/examples again and remove the deprecated notations if any.

I don't how many new features you can add to the new edition, but
MathJax currently attaches some CSS classes to MathML elements to
implement non-standard features and I'm wondering if they can be
standardized. The "updiagonalarrow" was one of them, now fixed in v2.2.
Another one is to emulate TeX spacing, but that will be perharps a bit
complicate to consider for a second edition and probably not wanted for now.

One issue that was raised several times in the past is the mathvariant
attribute:

"Renderers should support those combinations of character data and
mathvariant values that correspond to Unicode characters, and that they
can visually distinguish using available font characters. Renderers may
ignore or support those combinations of character data and mathvariant
values that do not correspond to an assigned Unicode code point".

One paragraph mentions that CSS, when available, may be used to
implement mathvariant. This has caused some "style vs mathvariant"
confusions in the past especially since MathJax and browsers currently
only implement them via font-style/font-family/font-weight changes and
they are probably not always "protected from inadvertent document-wide
style changes".

While working on math fonts recently, it seems that many of them have
characters from these "Mathematical Alphanumeric Symbols" block as well
as other alphanumeric glyphs that are not accessible via Unicode. In the
STIX fonts, that's a bit messy: many glyphs are duplicate between the
reserved mathvariant code points and the various styles (-Regular,
-Italic, -Bold, -BoldItalic), probably to work with the style-based
implementations ; and the STIX fonts also have some non-Unicode glyphs
(e.g. PUA characters for italic double-struck in STIX-Italic). In other
cases, there is only one single "math" font and the style-based
implementation can not work ; so we need a mechanism to access all the
glyphs especially the non-Unicode ones. That's generally not a problem
for MathJax: because of various technical issues we must split the
(free) fonts and reorganize the glyphs in different code points if we
want to add support for these fonts. However it's currently not possible
to implement \mathcal and \oldstyle in MathJax (without adding
non-standard CSS class) and it's a problem for other rendering engines
that would like to support mathvariant for arbitrary math fonts. So here
are two changes that I'd like people to consider:

1) Mention that renderers are allowed to pick non-Unicode glyphs from a
font for combinations that do not correspond to an assigned Unicode code
point. For example, if a font contains a non-Unicode glyph that
represents a bold plus sign then this glyph can be used to render <mo
mathvariant="bold">+</mo>. That's already implicitly allowed in the
description, but that would provide a suggestion for implementers. Also,
that seemed to be the only way to implement the Arabic ones when they
were proposed
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/NOTE-arabic-math-20060131/arabic.xhtml)

2) Allow mathvariant values "calligraphic" and "oldnumerals". It's a bit
controversial given that it's not clear if they have a specific
mathematical semantics or are just stylistic changes (see for example
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-math/2006Jul/0013.html and
comments at the end of
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Text_figures#History). However, for most
of the mathvariant notations (except perhaps fraktur or double-struck)
the implied mathematical semantics is not clear to me and most of them
only looks like stylistic changes that can be used to provide a distinct
mathematical meaning in some contexts (for example some physicists use
bold to indicate a vector). At least, \mathcal and \oldstyle have been
used in LaTeX and probably some people have used them to provide a
distinguish mathematical meaning in the context of their papers.
Certainly the logical class is not obvious but the same is true for
values like monospace, sans-serif or (for me) the Arabic variants.

Any thoughts?