Re: Mirroring Unicode symbols in Arabian

The Unicode report is a list of characters that *can* be mirrored.  It is
not a requirement that they be used.  As it says, they may be less than
ideal in some cases (e.g., italics, but that's not likely in math).  The
best solution is for the MathML rendering engine have a font available that
has glyphs for characters suitable in an RTL context.  Barring that,
character mirroring can be used as a fallback for those characters that can
be mirrored and actual bit flipping (i.e., rendering the character and
inverting that image) for those that can't can be done, but it is a poor
substitute for a font that has the appropriate alternative renderings.  See
(for example) http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/ttochap1.htm for
more info.

Neil Soiffer
Senior Scientist
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, Equation Editor ~