RE: Help get math turned back on in Chrome

Dave,

It is important to focus our efforts on the real barriers to adding MathML support. There is no reason to believe that browser makers are slow at adding MathML support because of perceived cost. Instead, I am pretty sure it is just a matter of priority (based on perceived customer demand) and limited availability of programmers with sufficient expertise. This was the case with Mozilla. It was only the availability, effort, and diligence of Roger Sidje that got it done. I am sure others helped but his contribution was crucial and it wouldn't have happened without it. Cost is clearly not the issue with Google, Apple, and Microsoft.

Paul

From: Dave Barton [mailto:dbarton@mathscribe.com]
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2013 12:06 PM
To: www-math@w3.org
Subject: Re: Help get math turned back on in Chrome

I agree with all this. Here's how I see it: HTML has had text, images, and links since basically the beginning, so they're supported everywhere. If you want to add them to a web page, e-mail message, blog post, help page, wiki article, etc., they pretty much just work. The same now goes for tables, form elements, basic css, javascript, etc. Browser vendors now have a lot of developers working on things like CSS 3 modules, WebRTC, integration with mobile hardware, etc. There are also slightly older features like <canvas>. These newer things that aren't supported everywhere yet are often imitated to varying extents by javascript libraries, also known as "polyfills", "shims", or "shivs". (There are so many synonyms because it's such an important and common tool.) An early common example was excanvas, for imitating <canvas> on old IE.

Meanwhile, some kind of <math> element has been around since the beginning, but has never really been fully supported. The excellent MathJax library does a lot of things. Like other polyfills, it's fine in itself for some purposes, and it's way better than nothing for all purposes, but it's definitely not the same as native browser support. We're hearing a lot about it because it's the only organized and actively funded <math> support today.

Without getting sidetracked with MathJax details, the question is whether browsers should support a <math> tag natively, sooner rather than later. For instance, no one is suggesting that all browser vendors support music notation in their core engines. But mathematics is fundamental and extremely important, the basis of half of education and all of science and technology. Without it we wouldn't have modern life, and if (when) we make it easier to use it and grow it (through new research), the benefits to humanity will be enormous. This is why, as Paul points out, standards bodies such as HTML5 and EPUB3 have definitively answered this question. Math support, through MathML, is required. It's worth it; it's been approved; let's just do it.

But what is the cost? The answer is that a fraction of a developer on each of the major browser engines - webkit, mozilla, trident/IE, and maybe Opera - would do it, far less than is being spent on other HTML5 technologies. This is the price to have formulas and equations (and ultimately many mathematical tools using them) "just work" on everything - digital textbooks, help sites like stack overflow, social sites like google+ or facebook, online tutoring, online journals, etc., etc. This is what I think we should pitch to everyone. If you think this is worth making happen now, instead of waiting another 15 years (seriously), please discuss and support this effort.

For google+ users, I urge you to share either or both of these, or create your own post:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/107847268022850354754/posts/Y3rNXYvFMaC
https://plus.google.com/u/0/104139857168801904129/posts - the Feb 7 (yesterday) post

If someone would write something on facebook, we could like or share that as well. Finally, please go to http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=152430 and star it (in the upper left corner) if you haven't already.

SIncerely, Dave Barton