Re: mglyph, semantics, Content Markup missing in navigation

On 01/10/2012 08:43, Jim Michaels wrote:
> MathML 3.0 current TR http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML3/
>
> the section title Attribution via semantics could perhaps have been
> called Attribution via <semantics>
>
> most of Content Markup elements are missing in navigation, if indeed
>  they belong there at all: MathML 3.0 contains *parts* (but not all)
> of Content Markup in the TR's navigation, however, in the
> documenation, it lists quite a few more elements for Content Markup
> than are in the navigation. Part of the problem is, there are SOME
> Content Markup elements in the navigation, but not ALL. putting all
> of them in would make the navigation consistent with the formatting
> of the previous half of the document.
>
> if this is a living standard type of document, then OK. I can accept
> that it is still "in process".  but if this is not,then please fix.
> it is confusing browser developers.
>
> <mglyph/> is not listed in the navigation, but is listed in the
> documentation. ------------- Jim Michaels

Thank you for you message but as I mentioned when you sent the same
wording to the HTML WG bugzilla, your comments are not at all clear, I'm
not sure what changes you would like us to make.

Taking them out of order.

The subject line refers to Content MathML but you comment that
mglyph (which is not a content mathml element) is not in "the
navigation" by which I assume you mean the table of contnts?
mglyph is in the table of contents for presentation mathml,

http://www.w3.org/Math/draft-spec/chapter3.html

linking to

http://www.w3.org/Math/draft-spec/chapter3.html#presm.mglyph

As to your main point about content elements not being in the table of
contents, the main set that do not have their own section are the
trigonometric functions which are all listed under

4.4.7.1 Common trigonometric functions
http://www.w3.org/Math/draft-spec/chapter4.html#contm.sin

All these elements operate in exactly the same way and it would serve no
purpose to make the chapter significantly longer duplicating the
description for each one under a separate heading.

If however you want to mechanically generate links back from an instance
of a particular function to the description of the element in the spec,
the anchors are all there, so for example for <sin/> you can link to

http://www.w3.org/Math/draft-spec/chapter4.html#contm.sin

I hope that clarifies thing, if there are any specific changes that you
think we should make, please do post again.

David