Re: unrecognized actiontype in maction

On 28/05/2012 17:17, Andrii Zui wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> While working on my summer project with MathML maction, there was
> discovered an uncertainty in the REC. In section 3.7.1.1
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML3/chapter3.html#id.3.7.1.1> it says:
>
> By default, MathML applications that do not recognize the specified
> actiontype should render the selected sub-expression as defined
> below.
>

> and then it goes on to describe the actiontype attribute and the
> effect of the selection attribute.
>
> The question is, how to deal with the selection attribute when we get
> an unrecognized actiontype? Should the selection attribute on maction
> be considered by default?
>
> -- Andrii Zui

I think that is fairly unambiguous that "the selected sub-expression as
defined below" means "the child specified by the selection attribute"
so yes, my reading is that the selection attribute should always be
used, and if it refers to a missing child then that is an error.

David
[personal response not checked with WG]