Re: Draft Node: Fill in the Blank

Neil,

I agree that the "evaluator" function of the children is probably criticizable from the aspect of copy-and-paste (note: in a perfect world that doesn't sniff like Maple or Mathematica does, pasting MathML would actually be inoperable, unless the students have a way to change the flavour of their clipboards!).

The discussion with Paul, however, went into needing several children different from the evaluator:

- a markup that indicates the blank somehow  (the prompt)
- a prefilled formula in some cases (e.g. an answer to be revised) (the default value)
- a formula that is only there to make sure that the blank is big enough (the phantom)

I believe the proposal with the class attribute is only at problem if there is the need for several children and now I am realizing that this appears natural. I sure agree I have no excuse to have not said this before!

paul