Re: hdotsfor?

I don't believe it is possible to do this in presentation MathML with
current renderers.

Your suggestion of
   <mtd columnspan="...">
would not fit in with the spec because columnspan is used to indicate the
number of columns spanned, so some other method would have to be used.

One way to do this (but I very much doubt it works in any MathML
implementation) would be something like
      <mtd columnspan="3"> <mo stretchy="true">&#x2026; <!-- horiz ellipsis
--> </mo> </mtd>

The idea here is to make use of the property of stretchy chars and rows/cols
that span.  This idea would work for both horizontal and vertical dots in a
table/matrix.

MathML's operator dictionary [1] provides some hints to developers as to
what chars to stretch (at least that should stretch by default).  Ellipsis
is not on that list.  I think it would be useful to hear from users as to
what characters they would like to see stretchable, even if they don't
stretch by default.

Neil Soiffer
Senior Scientist
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, Equation Editor ~

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML3/appendixc.html