Re: Bug in test suite

On 20/05/2010 22:36, Ross Moore wrote:

> Is this what is supposed to happen when translating
>    say  \mathrm{for}  instead of  \text{for}  ?

no clearly not, it's probably a very old translation.
in an ideal world perhaps the test suite examples would also all be
examples of great markup, but unfortunately in the real world...

the main point of the test suite is that mathml systems should test that
they do the right thing with it, for renderers the mathml has to be a
lot worse than this before there is no rendering possible.

it's hard to change the tests during the final stages of the
standardisation process (except for tests that are really unusable eg
the non well formed example at the start of the thread) as systems have
already started reporting results against the test suite and if you
change the tests, it's hard to combine the results.

if we get to REC though we should clean up, or remove, any particularly
"strange" tests that have been reported, so they don't bite us again
next time (if there is a next time).

David
(personal reply, not speaking for the working group)