Re: Can text in mathematics be made to use a specific font?

On 01/12/2010 14:43, J.Fine wrote:
 > Hello
 >
 > Apologies if this question is already answered in an obvious place,
 > but can I arrange for text within mathematics to use the same font as
 > the ambient document?  You can assume that I know ahead of time what
 > that font is.

you can use the (deprecated but legal) <mtext fontfamily="jhf">m
which might or might not work. similarly a global stylesheet declaration of
mtext {font-family: kjh}
might work.

but on the other hand it might not. Individual math layout engines
currently seem to assume certain font families, in firefox and other
gecko renders the default fonts used by mathml are a user (reader)
settable option, the same question came up recently for mathjax where
again the answer is complicated as it depends on what mathjax is using
for rendering.

Of course this isn't so much different from TeX where getting math fonts
and text fonts to be compatible requires a certain amount of black art.

David