Re: correct DOCTYPES to use on MathML 3.0 documents

On 27/08/2010 21:27, Joe Java wrote:
> Hello MathML Community,
>
> My question is, What are the correct DOCTYPES to use for writing
> valid HTML/XHTML with MathML 3.0 documents.
>
> The old MathML 2.0 spec has this DOCTYPE:
> <!DOCTYPE math
>      PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD MathML 2.0//EN"
>             "http://www.w3.org/Math/DTD/mathml2/mathml2.dtd" [
>      <!ENTITY % MathMLstrict "INCLUDE">
> ]>
>
> and as a convenience, a version of the XHTML DTD, extended with
> this MathML module, is also provided:
> <!DOCTYPE html
>      PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 2.0//EN"
>             "http://www.w3.org/Math/DTD/mathml2/xhtml-math11-f.dtd"
>>

> The new MathML 3.0 spec lists this DOCTYPE:
> <!DOCTYPE math
>      PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD MathML 3.0//EN"
>             "http://www.w3.org/Math/DTD/mathml3/mathml3.dtd">
>
> but does NOT list a convenience version of the XHTML DTD, extended
> with this new MathML module.
> Was this accidentally left out?

Things seemed to be changing rather a lot on the HTML side of things
that it was better to not fix the state in the spec, especially as the
normative grammar is Relax NG rather than DTD for MathML 3.

However we do make an XHTML1 +MathML3 DTD (just the same as the MathML 2
+ XHTML DTD, with MathML2 switched)

http://www.w3.org/Math/DTD/

has a placeholder for it, but it's not currently live. Thanks for the
reminder, I need to do a couple of sanity checks but will make that live
as soon as possible and report back to you and the list. I expect that
should be be this weekend, sometime.

> What is the correct way to produce a valid XHTML document that uses
> the MathML 3.0 DTD?

As above, but with 2.0 replaced by 3.0, however generally speaking I;d
recommend (even for MathML2) not explictly using a DOCTYPE (which is
only needed if you use entities for characters)

> The new HTML5 spec has optional MATHML built in.
> The version of MathML listed is the latest recommended version.
> The latest recommended version is now 2.0, but soon will be 3.0.
>
> Will the optional MathML used in HTML5 be MathML 3.0 or MathML 2.0?
That is a choice for the HTML WG, but as you say, currently they reference

http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML/

which is the "latest mathml version" link which will be MathML 3 after
it becomes a rec.

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-MathML/

http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/

and

http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML3/

being the  URLs to versions 1 2 and 3 respectively.

> Joe

David