Re: New attributes for MathML 3.0

On 07/04/2010 17:35, Ionel Alexandru wrote:
> Hi,
> I have an implementation of MathML 2.0 to display mathematical
> information on web www.fmath.info <http://www.fmath.info/>.
> And I suggest some modifications for MathML 3.0:
> 1. Why Radicals |<msqrt>|, |<mroot> |don't have *linethickness*
> attribute like *mfrac* ?

I suspect that the reason that historically this has not been done is
that for systems where all or part of the radical come from font glyphs
rather than being drawn specifying the width is not very natural (it
would be like specifying the with of the upright in a T. The fact that
the line thikness is logically tied to the glyph used for the square
root sign in the font also suggests a way of controlling the thickness,
as you would in TeX by changing the font size (and if necessary changing
it back inside the radical). For systems that draw the radical with
linedrawing primitives, specifying a line thickness would be more
natural, but (I think) the font view explains the current facilities.

>    I think must be inserted. In my implementation I have added:
> http://www..fmath.info/formula/ex/msqrt.jsp#main
> <http://www.fmath.info/formula/ex/msqrt.jsp#main>
> 2. Add to *Mathematics style attributes common to presentation elements:*

Please if you implement additional  attributes, place them in a
namespace. MathMl2 and 3 both allow any attributes in your own namespace
as a valid extension mechanism. If however you implement private
extension attributes that are not prefixed, and documents written to use
those extensions will be invalid MathML and could be  rejected by other
systems.

>     * attribute *border -* to have a border around a box Ex: <mrow
>       border='1'>
>
> http://www.fmath.info/formula/ex/mi.jsp#main

This functionality is I think provided by menclose, and while a new
attribute is a litle bit more compact, menclose is more versatile (it
can specify borders on just some of the sides for example) and in
general we try to avoid adding things that are just syntactic variants
of existing features.

 > I am new to participate to a specification and I don't know what are the
 > next steps to have in the new spec my ideas.
 > Thank you and I hope I could help

welcome aboard, it's always good to see new implementations. even though
you have targeted mathMl2 so far, it would be interesting to use the
testsuite runner at

http://devdemo.activemath.org/testsuite/main/

and include your results in

http://www.w3.org/Math/testsuite/results/tests.html

It's simple to skip the areas that you have not implemented (ie you can
report them as not tested rather than failed) see the grey areas in some
of the currently submitted reports.

David

David