Re: mathvariant vs. plane 1

Neil Soiffer wrote:

>     Or are there any pending developments that
>     would improve the situation in some of the
>     browsers?
>
> I added the other plane one alphabetics to MathPlayer's development
> version a month ago or so... or at least I think I did.  Three weeks of
> vacation washed a lot of details from my mind.  I have no estimate as to
> when that version will be released.

Ah, now that is interesting news! Thanks!
Would that be support out-of-the-box
(ie with whatever fonts MathPlayer includes),
or would it require extra fonts to be present?

This would suggest that within the near future
delivering plane-1 codepoints is likely to be
more useful for the web than mathvariant.
[It would seem to be more straightforward
for Opera's CSS engine, although it doesn't yet
completely support plane-1]

A downside of plane-1 is that when it doesn't work
you get red "?" or boxes, rather than a potentially
misleading wrong letter --- so maybe it's an upside,
after all?

I wonder how readers will react...

--
bruce.miller@nist.gov