Re: MathML browser test page

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 7:20 PM, Joe Java <joe.java@eyeasme.com> wrote:

> Hello Neil,
>
> You are welcome.
>
> 1.  That problem I posted about has to do with an equation I pulled out of
> an
> article on Differentiable Manifolds.  The column alignment specification IS
> in the source
> code.  The problem is Firefox does not left justify the two equations to
> the left bracket
> UNTIL the cursor is moved into the table cell of the equation.  They are
> first center
> aligned then they "pop" into the correct position when the cursor is moved
> over them.
>
> I am ignorant as to how to left justify in this situation without using
> CSS.
> I would welcome learning how to do this in a better way

Where you have (for example)
   <mtd style="text-align: left">

you should use
   <mtd columnalign="left" style="text-align: left">

or better yet, since you consistently use the same alignments, pull them up
to the mtable level:

<mtable class="close" columnalign="right left">

Implementations that more completely implement mtable than Firefox does will
do the right thing.

> 2.  I did not know that the arrows should have stretched on their own.
> Should not the arrows look the same even if a person manually sets the size
> rather than letting the size be automatically set?

The size of an arrow or other stretchy character that is the only entry in
an mtd should stretch  to be the same size as the biggest mtd in the
row/column (depending on the direction the character can stretch).  In this
case, I believe you have rowspan=3, so it should cover the height of the
three rows spanned.  If you override it as you did, that forces the size
(your minsize=maxsize) and a MathML renderer should use those sizes.

I assume it took you some trial and error to get that size right, but MathML
*should* get the size right for you.  Again, Firefox doesn't implement that
so you have to do what you did to get it to look right in Firefox (there
might be other workarounds for the Firefox bug), but in general, you
shouldn't need to do those sort of things.

Neil Soiffer
Senior Scientist
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, WebEQ, Equation
Editor ~