RE: mfenced as a special case of mrow -- Was: angle brackets in math

Hi.

I can answer why mfenced was originally introduced and why it is defined as equivalent to the mrow construct.

The mrow construct came first and was part of the earliest drafts of presentation markup.  As David noted, it is more powerful than left/right bracing constructs, accommodating posts naturally and so on.  Also, the mrow construct is much better suited to graphical editing applications, since it build up in a natural incremental way.  Left/right constructs are typically invalid until the matching fence is added.  You can address that by inserting both fences at once, i.e. using a fence template in graphical editing parlance.  But even so, the user must think ahead and pick a template first and then fill in its contents, where as the natural flow of one's thought is "(, a, over, b, ), and oh yeah make the fences stretch".

However, there was a contingent that felt the left/right/template model was so widely established in current practice from TeX and many graphical editors that it rose to the level of an independent notational schema.  That camp also argued that it was easier to infer semantics from mfenced than having to precedence parse mrows.  The point here is that an mfenced can be enforced by DTD, whereas proper nesting of mrows to avoid fence matching ambiguity can only be enforced by convention, and lies outside the realm of XML validation.

So in the end was the compromise that both were allowed and required to be treated as equivalent.  The editor camp didn't want to be compelled to use mfenced.  The converters and semantic inference people didn't want to have to parse mrows and rely on good authoring tools to ensure proper nesting.  So now neither has to, but they do have to pay the tax of accepting the other form.  They were defined to be equivalent so that you could, if appropriate for your application, preprocess away whichever one was a hassle for you, without information loss.

If I recall correctly, the separators attribute was introduced to accommodate things like hypergeometric function notations like [a,b,c;d]  or bra-ket notations like <a|c>, and I think there were a number more like that.  I think I was the original proposer of the current syntax, and I wish I hadn't.  It was a blunder.  It's awkward to have a microsyntax for the attribute value, and there is no good way to say separators="" since one cannot tell from some DOM implementations whether the attribute is unset or it is set to "".  I think these cases are all handled better by the mrow notation.

Speaking personally, I don't think mfenced is especially closely connected with lists, Maple's behavior notwithstanding.  Both the mrow and mfenced constructs are purely presentational and will be used and abused in all kinds of ways in practice. Any attempt to infer semantics from presentation has to deal with that, unless the context is restricted in some way, e.g. by Maple, or gellmu, or MathType, etc.

Speaking of abuse, I'd say putting in a plus for the separator in an mfenced to represent (a + b) is a fairly spectacular example.  I suspect the percentage of semantic inference engines that would get that right is small :-)  The spacing around the plus would likely be off too, but that is a minor point.

--Robert

Rober Miner
W3C Math WG co-chair

Design Science, Inc.