Re: "/>" (was Re: several messages about New Vocabularies in text/html

On Apr 2, 2008, at 23:46, William F Hammond wrote:
> In fact, I wonder if a person having some familiarity with Goldfarb's
> SGML Handbook (and the www adaptations) could explain succinctly why
> html5 source is not being specified relative to an underlying,
> canonically related, sgml document type.

Specifying HTML5 in terms of SGML would be pointless, because
  1) Real browsers don't use SGML parsers.
  2) SGML doesn't specify error what to do in error cases. Web-
compatible error-recovery is a must.
  3) Even as a validation formalism SGML is totally inadequate.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi