RE: The mapping of phi

Sure.  I think most of us understand about Unicode.

But since the whole point of having two code points is that the difference between a straight phi and a curly phi carries semantic meaning in mathematics, it doesn't really help the reader if the 03C6 sitting there in the DOM is unambiguously declared to be the phi symbol character by Unicode when what the reader actually sees on the screen randomly switches between the straight and curly glyphs depending on the font.

Having spent far more of my life than I want to debugging phi problems in publishing workflows, I can assure you it is a real world problem, even if the theoretical foundation is clear.

--Robert

Dr. Robert Miner
W3C Math Working Group co-chair
Vice President, Research and Development

Design Science, Inc.
140 Pine Avenue, 4th Floor
Long Beach, California 90802
USA