Re: Wish for MathML 3: version attribute

Dear MathML community,

I've been reading a little bit of the discussion, and here are my 2 cts:

a) I think declaring MathML 2 obsolete is not a viable option.
Discouraged yes, but not obsolete. There is still plenty of software
which uses MathML 1.0.1 (OpenOffice, for example), and is very
unlikely to change easily. This would only hinder the transition. If
you look at HTML, there are still many documents written in 3.2 and 4.0.

b) I really like the idea of a different namespace: MathML is mostly
embedded in other documents, and namespaces are the way to identify
it. A new namespace would mean that existing software will not
immediately recognize MathML 3, but it will be easily adaptable.

To reason again for my originial post (version attribute) it does not
have to be an actual version attribute, but I would really like to be
able to detect which MathML version a document conforms to without a
given DTD.

Max Berger
e-mail: max@berger.name

--
PGP/GnuPG ID: E81592BC   Print: F489F8759D4132923EC4
BC7E072AB73AE81592BC