Re: sparse matrix support in MathML

David's right of course, and I *was* thinking about it as
a presentational problem.  But if we are interested in
content/semantics and try to specify a matrix as a
"sparse matrix" by specifying its dimensions
(a million by million) and six nontrivial values
then we haven't succeeded.  What is the specification
for the value in the other slots?  If it is zero, is it
the zero in the ring of integers, or the zero in the field
of complex numbers, or something else?

So from the content/semantics point of view the question is
what is a "sparse matrix"?  Is it one with (1) some specified
dimension and (2) some specified values, and all other values
always being <cn>0</cn>?  Or is it one with three variable
items, the third being the default value entry?

The third possible point of view is that what is really wanted
is a presentation for sparse matrices - something like what
Max Berger was suggesting.  After all, from the point of view
of content/semantics a sparse matrix is just a 4-tuple [5-tuple]
 ( n , m , V , f [, z] )
where n,m specifies the dimension, V is a set of triples
(i,j,v) with 1 le i le n, 1 le j le m and v is the value in the
(i,j)th position [and z, if you want to give it, is the value
of all entries not specified in V].  This representation of
a sparse matrix can already be given in content MathML I think.

Richard