Re: missing letter gcedil in isolat2

A very late follow-up no this thread...

On 2007-10-23 11:24, David Carlisle wrote:
> Thanks you for reportung this.
>
>> Seems like an error, because the uppercase G-cedilla, just as
>> any other letter for Latvian *is* included.
>>
>> Really strange that nobody noticed that error, since the file dates
>> from 2003
>
> Actually further back from that, ISOLat2 dates from the original SGML
> specififcation, ISO 8879, dated from 1986. As far as I can see, the ISO
> spec still (despite a couple of amendments since then) only specifies
> the upper case G with cedilla. (Before replying I checked various online
> sources, and the Goldfarb's printed SGML handbook.)

Accidently I encountered:

http://unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/MISC/SGML.TXT

The page claims to be from 25 July 1997 and this mapping does include
the entity for lowercase "&gcedil;", so someone must have noticed
the missing entity at least 10 years ago, and added it there, or
in the "various sources", where this document is based upon.

Just one small argument pro for adding the gcedil to the ISOlat2 list,
Even though the above webpage is not some official standard, it is
hosted by the Unicode Consortium.
The contra argument, that "&gcedil;" was not there in the original SGML
list in 1986, is still valid of course.

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
http://www.xplanation.com/          email:  Paul.Bijnens@xplanation.com