Re: annotation-xml and annotation encoding

Le 17 déc. 07 à 14:37, Henri Sivonen a écrit :
>>> and <annotation-xml>. The spec gives four tokens leaving their
>>> meaning implicit: MathML-Presentation, MathML-Content, TeX and
>>> OpenMath.
>> In the examnples, right ?
> No, those are from the spec prose.

We'll have a look.

>> There is, indeed, no central table of suggested encoding values
>> for well-known data-types.
> Are implementors expected to find the values from the output of
> other MathML products?

No, that table was just not committed yet. Outside of formats close-
to-mathml, it is clear that bilateral negotiation should be the way, or?

>>> In the MathML 3.0 draft, the encoding attribute on <annotation>
>>> seems to take a MIME type, such as text/latex or text/maple, or a
>>> product name token like Maple, Mathematica or TeX.
>> I believe that the order should be:
>> - try to use a value that's documented in the spec
>> - if there's none such use a mime-type
> E.g. for Maple, the spec uses both "text/maple" and "Maple".

I doubt we should specify the name of the Maple (linear syntax?)
encoding, right?
I agree we should do it consistently though. Thanks for the hint.

>>> In the MathML 3.0 draft the encoding attribute on <annotation-
>>> xml> is said to take a namespace URI but examples use tokens such
>>> as OpenMath.
>>
>> I don't remember seeing this... In the spec to come out soon, this
>> has gone away, I think.
>
> I'm looking at
>   http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-MathML3-20071214/chapter5.html
> Is there a new draft coming soon or was that the spec you are
> referring to?

I'm sorry, I missed the announcement and the web-page hasn't been
updated yet.
Indeed, I see the namespace proposal there... sorry... I'll have to
discuss this.

>>> <annotation> and <annotation-xml> appear to be so vaguely defined
>>> that I have to doubt their interoperable implementability. Have
>>> they been implemented in applications that consumes MathML? If
>>> they have been implemented, have they been implemented
>>> interoperably? If they are now interoperably implemented, it
>>> would be good for the spec to define how to consume them in the
>>> way that is interoperable.
>>
>> We really need to share more about defining the interoperability.
> Are there so far apps that consume each other's annotations?

The part of chapter 7 is actually extracted of something that works
between products of Design-Science and MS Word. There are applications!

>>> describe the "source" for the MathML encoded in its ODF
>>> (OpenDocument
>>> Formula) files. This works very well within Openoffice and related
>>> products, which use this information when re-reading files.
>
> Interesting, but does any other product read that annotation?

At least, the spec seems to be the way out of relying on "text/plain"
to store MathML, right?

paul