RE: MathML-in-HTML5

That fact that adding XML islands to tag soup doesn't turn it into steak
shouldn't surprise anyone. But I don't think it is fair to dismiss the
value of adding MathML to HTML on that basis. I think Microsoft provided
a very simple mechanism that allows XML islands inside tag soup but
without making it more soupy, to stretch the metaphor a bit.

I'm not sure what you mean by "lack of success of IE's extension
mechanism". If you mean that Mozilla didn't adopt it, then you are
right. Given that the world's web content is largely tag soup, at no
fault of Microsoft that I know of, they added XML islands to it in a
straightforward way that could have been adopted by all other browsers.
I never heard anyone say that Mozilla didn't adopt it because it was
implemented badly. They just put all their eggs in the XHTML basket
hoping it would drive content producers to use XHTML. If anything shows
lack of success, it is XHTML.

Paul