RE: mover vs latin chars with diacriticals

Hi.

In my experience, font designers don't do a good job with many mathematical accents.  Partly this is because mathematics often takes them out of context.  The font designer makes sure the tilde goes well with the n, not the capital X.  Also, mathematics must frequently stretch accents to position them over multi-character symbols.  Another issue in many fonts is that the accents don't behave properly with respect to italic correction. For really high quality mathematical typesetting, in many cases, you have to take apart these symbols and render and position the glyphs yourself.

Another context where mover is preferrable is where semantics is required.  Many deployed assessment and/or interactive tutorial systems I'm aware of that use MathML (and there are actually quite a lot) employ heuristic rules that look for <mover> to detect things like complex conjugation overbar and differentition dots.  For example, in XSL it is much easier to write rules matching the tag name and the CDATA content than it is to parse the CDATA comment to look for these kinds of constructs.

All that said, I believe the rule is fairly simple and should be:

1) For the short list of mathematical accents is wide use as operators (tilde, bar, dot, etc) the mover construct is usually preferable.

2) Whenever the combining character is there because the variable or text is in a language that requires it -- e.g. 3 apples + 2 apples in German and so on -- clearly use Unicode.

3) Use your judgment for the rest.  It depends on what works, and who you are targeting.

--Robert

Dr. Robert Miner
Director of New Product Development

- our address has changed-