Re: Mathematical selection

Hello Paul,

On 27/mar/06, at 16:19, Paul Libbrecht wrote:
> I am unclear about a clean definition of mathematical selection.
> The best I could find thus far would be to select "sub-terms" only
> which, I believe, correspond to subtrees in a MathML-content or
> OpenMath matching tree. Comments welcome there.

of course one can make his life more complicated. Just think of a
matrix. There are basically three ways of encoding it in a content-
oriented markup: row-major, column-major, or flat encodings.

Whichever encoding you choose, there are always "sub-terms" such as a
row, a column, etc. that make sense mathematically and yet that don't
correspond to a subterm of the markup.

> A level 2 approach would be to work with parallel markup and
> enlarge any text selection to the presentation match of the
> smallest content-sub-tree containing the content-match of the
> smallest presentation sub-tree containing the selected text (!).

if you can rely on the assumption that the structure of presentation
markup is always a refinment of content markup, then annotating
presentation markup with attributes is sufficient without using
parallel markup (of course the attributes should mean something, and
this is usually application specific).

Regards,
--luca