Re: Math on the web without MathML

On Jul 14, 2006, at 10:33 AM, White Lynx wrote:

>> I still haven't seen a good example of *parentheses*, i.e. rounded
> http://geocities.com/chavchan/temp/matrix.xhtml
>
> try it in Gecko based browsers (border radius is used)
Yes
Safari 2.0.4 gives straight matrix delimiters
Firefox 1.5.0.4 gives pieced curved delimiters (with unevenness)
Opera  9.00 gives straight matrix delimiters

which can be compared with delimiters in a draft TeX document I  happen
to have on this machine under TeXshop and PDFTeX, with no particular
care
applied to spacing:

Also
> I fear Safari is still affected by bugs
>  http://www.geocities.com/csssite/opera/bug05.xhtml

gives me  for similar respective configurations

so that even Opera is still off by about two-thirds of an x-height in
vertical displacement of the baseline.  The Math WG for years
emphasized the importance it saw of access to, adjustment of,
and reliable implementation of baseline handling.  We still are not
where we'd presumably all like to be in this respect apparently.

 Patrick