Re: Profiling and certificates for MathML. Avoiding imitators

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis said:
> juanrgonzaleza@canonicalscience.com wrote:
>
>> HTML5 was defined as anything being sent as text/html.
>
> Say what? HTML5 isn't a finished specification yet, so I'm not sure what
> the past tense is doing here.

I am simply citing the Editor -Ian Hickson- said us [1]:

"Don't do anything based on the DOCTYPE. HTML5 is anything sent as
text/html."

I substituted the "is" by "was". Of course, maybe 2007 everything will be
changed and HTML5 will be defined other way. I do not developed predictive
skills still.

> More importantly, it certainly isn't
> defined as "anything being sent as text/html"! Please read:
>
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#conformance

There i can read

"Web browsers that support HTML must process documents labelled as
text/html as described in this specification, so that users can interact
with them."

"HTML documents, if they are served over the wire (e.g. by HTTP) must be
labelled with the text/html MIME type."

Which is very close to "anything labelled as text/html"

Also interesting the recursive definition of HTML documents. According to
the last spec. [2] a HTML document is every XML and HTML document in an
HTML UA is represented by a Document object.

More interesting is the terminology part [3] i largely follow next:

Basically a HTML5 doc is based in an abstract language for describing
something with certain in-memory representation known as "DOM5 HTML", or
"the DOM" for short.

That DOM5 uses various concrete syntaxes that can be used to transmit
resources that use this abstract language, two of which are defined in
this specification.

The first such concrete syntax is "HTML5". This is the format recommended
for most authors. It is compatible with all legacy Web browsers. If a
document is transmitted with the MIME type text/html, then it will be
processed as an "HTML5" document by Web browsers.

This last part is another way to say "HTML5 is defined as anything being
sent as text/html."

In fact, there is not prohibition to define HTML 5 to be authored as

<non-angle-brackets-syntax from='M.org'>
</non-angle-brackets-syntax>

some years after :]

[1]
http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.tech.mathml/tree/browse_frm/thread/796fad03fdd4fc59/d45ba99394c64559?rnum=11&lnk=nl