Re: consuming the semantic tag

Stan Devitt writes in reply to Paul Libbrecht:

> The main thing is that the user should not have to modify
> the URI to request manually to request a particular version of
> the document.  (for example, by manually adding  a parameter like
> ?mathml_include=content,presentation,maple)

Maybe I'm a bit lost as to exactly what this is about.

There seems to be an assumption here that the ultimate future evolute
of content MathML needs to be taylored for particular computer algebra
systems.  Why should that be necessary?  Why can't content MathML
ultimately provide a universal language?

                                    -- Bill

P.S.  I've never thought that HTTP-level content negotiation is a good
thing.  A web content provider can always provide her readers with an
explicit menu of suitably labeled URIs when such bifurcation is
necessary, and author-platform or server-platform software can be made
to roll out the various versions, if necessary, from a single source.
Hasn't each of us as a consumer been in the situation of being
frustrated by the negotiation between user agent and http server in
trying to obtain the particular variant wanted?