Re: Problems with IE

Hi Bernhard,

You wrote:

> Its definitely not the source file, as the same error occurs with this minimal XHTML+MathML document:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="http://www.w3.org/Math/XSL/pmathml.xsl"?>
> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 2.0//EN"  "http://www.w3.org/Math/DTD/mathml2/xhtml-math11-f.dtd">
>   <head>
>     <title></title>
>   </head>
>
> I dont understand it, as it worked before since at least 12 month
> and it still workes on my other computer (except that this error occurs very, very seldom).
>
> Nevertheless, I might try anaylizing the stylesheet and the DTD as you suggested.

Did you perhaps just install Office 2003 on the problem machine?  We
discovered that Office 2003 installs a filter that sniffs text/xml
documents, and presumably does something to Office XML documents.  We
found out about it since it overwrites MathPlayer's filter, which
attempts to sniff out XHTML+MathML documents.  MathPlayer is not
supposed to filter any document with a stylesheet PI, so I doubt it is
the problem, but I guess the MathPlayer filter could have some bug
too.

Anyway, if a filter does have a bug affecting plane 1 characters, then
by the time the XSL tranform tries to run, the source has already been
corrupted. The corruption would only be in the copy in memory -- view
source, etc wouldn't show it.  The fact that the bad characters from
the error message don't appear in the source, stylesheet or DTD make
it sound as if some piece of software is corrupting the document in
memory, which lead me to think of filters.

To eliminate MIME filters as a possible cause of the problem, check
your registry.  The MIME filters are listed in

  HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PROTOCOLS\Filter

You can turn off any text/xml filtering by deleting the text/xml
subkey (after saving it, naturally, in case you want to put it
back...)

--Robert

Dr. Robert Miner                                RobertM@dessci.com
W3C Math Interest Group Co-Chair                      651-223-2883
Design Science, Inc.   "How Science Communicates"   www.dessci.com