Re: multi-lingual/cross-cultural maths using MathML?

Le 26 avr. 05, à 14:53, Andreas Strotmann a écrit :

> Paul Libbrecht wrote:
>> Can you hint to what would be the internationalization of MathML
>> content ???
>> I would have hoped it to be international, being expected to be
>> semantic...
>
> Good point, Paul.  Actually, in the case of MathML Content,
> *localization* (that is, rendering depending on a language or culture
> or other context) is the main issue.
> Ex.:  gcd vs. ggT vs. mcd vs. MCD  (in locales en/de/es/it)

It's only an issue of the presentation system, not, not at all!, of
MathML-content.
In some of the documents quoted there, I find an amount of places where
MathML-content would need to support language, for example, that a
content-symbol should support an xml:lang attribute. I really don't
understand this!

That a presentation template (i.e. a recipe to produce presentation
from content) bears something such is clear but not the MathML-content
itself !

> However, in our paper we note that there are more parameters than just
> language that determine the correct choice of a specific rendering
> during localization of Content MathML.
> Among these, the most important parameter in our application is
> probably the choice between rendering an expression as a formula (e.g.
> "Vx.P(x)") or rendering it as natural-language text (e.g. "there is an
> x such that P(x)").  The latter is not only important as a source for
> aural rendering; many of the more "advanced" features of mathematics
> are simply expressed verbally in lower grades, long before they are
> formalized for advanced students - quantifiers being a case in point.

Your points are valid and it goas as fine-grained as the classroom or
course...
Actually, if the rendering engine is used by an autonomous learner
(e.g. a researcher), there's no reason customization of the notation is
not offered for him as well.

> It is in this context that MathML 3.0 will hopefully have better
> support for marking choices between variants.

But where, oh where, in MathML-content or in OpenMath would you like to
put such choices ??

paul