Re: MathML and CSS

White Lynx wrote:
[... lots of detailed suggestions that will be useful in the next phase! ...]
> In principle involving JS one can render even LateX, but the problem is that
> both JS and XSLT are much less convenient then pure CSS. Already today we can
> do a lot of things with JS but is anyone really happy with this approach?

I wouldn't be happy if I, as author, had to supply it; less still if I have
to guess which bits of JS is needed for a given browser, and which style of
DOM programming I have to use, etc...

> So let us concretely identify all problems that prevent MathML from being merged
> into XML + CSS rendering scheme and let's see what we may loose.
[...]
> But are these things really essential? Can't one just drop them and focus on basics?

That's a key question: Can we paper over the odd parts of MathML --- and
hide the glue from the authors?   And if not, can we throw out the odd
parts?   I'm not going the latter route without a clear concensus. :<

[...]
> ... So what is impossible in CSS2 will be possible within CSS3.

CSS3 is the target for a Math-CSS module, not CSS2.

>  However there still will be problems. The question is what are these
> problems and whether they can be addressed by extending CSS in realistic way.

Exactly!

--
bruce.miller@nist.gov
http://math.nist.gov/~BMiller/