Re: mathml to plain text | audio?

Hi David,

I'm currently developing a system that converts MathML expressions to Text
and later on Audio.
At the moment it only converts simple mathematical expressions but I'm
hopping that my master thesis (starting October) will be a boost to the
project.
Also it currently works only for the portuguese language. You can find a
demo in: http://lpf-esi.fe.up.pt/~hfilipe/projecto/mathml.html .

There are several groups working in MathML transformation, unfortunately
only a few people seem concerned with the audio rendering of mathml.
Also, there aren´t many studies that prove how should we read a mathematical
expression. Some readings, as you well said, can have lots of mistakes.
The more complex the expression, the more difficult it is for you to read
it. Therefore some navigational tool has to be provided.

Now, about the tools you asked:

You can try MathPlayer 2.0 from DesignScience. It has a Speak function that
uses a TTS, but it only works as a pluggin for IE. -
http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathplayer/ .

You can also look into the T.V. Raman's work about ASTER.-
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/People/raman/aster/demo.html .
However ASTER works for Latex documents. Nevertheless, you can transform
Latex to MathML (see http://www.orcca.on.ca/MathML/texmml/textomml.html ).

Best regards,

Helder Ferreira
http://www.fe.up.pt/~hfilipe

PS: I might have more links and references that might interest you... but I
don´t have my notebook here. I'll send them to you later.