Re: MathML in CSS

White Lynx wrote:
>>My hope was that the 1st rule above
>>  mfrac > *:first-child { vertical-align:bottom; }
>>would set the baseline of the numerator to be it's bottom,
>>and that _that_ would become the baseline of the fraction.
>
> Unfortunately doing this will not change anything.
> It will just bottom-align content of numerator as a whole,
> baseline will still be content dependent.

Aha, I see; I am thinking too TeX-like;
the vertical-align:bottom just says the numerator should align
it's bottom to the baseline of it's siblings (but has none),
but it's baseline is unchanged.
Hmmm...

>>[This may also be a case where a strategic ::outside would allow us to
>>mess with the display & positioning of the numerator, without
>>affecting it's internal layout]
>
> Yep, I think it is possible (but slightly complex) solution.
> In this case ::outside will be table-cell with fixed baseline,
> and numerator itself could be inline-block with vertical-alignment
> set to text-bottom. Theoretically it should work, but it would be nice
> to have more simple solution.

In one sense, simpler doesn't matter where authors seldom if ever have
to write the rules for mathml fractions. But on the other hand, simpler
means it's more likely to actually work :>

I'll look further into this...

--
bruce.miller@nist.gov
http://math.nist.gov/~BMiller/