Re: Last Call Working Draft of MathML 2.0, 2nd edition published

Simon,

> In the DTD mstyle can have the attribute %att-accentunder; (but not
> %att-accent;). I think it should be removed, since it is not inheritable.

In fact the DTD does specify the accent attribute (%att-accent;) is
allowed on mstyle, this is included in %att-opinfo; which is included
into mstyle's attribute list.

att-accentunder does appear explictly in mstyle's attribute list as it
isn't in att-opinfo.

We discussed your comment that these attributes should not be in the
DTD. The current settings are intentional and so we plan to keep
the DTD as it is in this case.

The following explanation comes from Robert Minor, who I hope won't mind
if I plagiarise his text from our internal discussion:

>   You can set anything except required attributes on mstyle.
>
>   From the spec:
>
>     The mstyle element is used to make style changes that affect the
>     rendering of its contents. mstyle can be given any attribute accepted
>     by any MathML presentation element provided that the attribute value
>     is inherited, computed or has a default value; presentation element
>     attributes whose values are required are not accepted by the mstyle
>     element. In addition mstyle can also be given certain special
>     attributes listed below.
>
>   If an attribute is not inheritable, setting it on mstyle has the
>   effect of changing the default value for all elements within its
>   scope.  For an inheritable attribute, setting it on the mstyle causes
>   it to be inherited normally by its children.  But either way you can
>   set the attribute just fine.

As this is a last call comment could you confirm on this mailing list
whether or not you are happy with this resolution as we have to document
the outcome of all last call comments, thanks.

Also, as far as I can tell this is the last of your DTD comments in this
round to have been handled. If you think there is a message that I have
missed and you haven't seen a reply please send me a reminder.

Thanks again for your detailed review of the DTD.

David

http://www.star.net.uk