Re: Errors in MathML DTD

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003, David Carlisle wrote:

> Surely all the validation service needs to do is to use the DTD from
> /Math/DTD/mathml2/
> no other syncronisation should be needed should it?

Nope.  Fetching the MathML DTD + modules by HTTP is too big an overhead
and will slow the server unacceptably.  We need to keep local copies,
which means we're stuffed if you change the DTDs by stealth (i.e. without
creating a new public identifier for the updated DTDs).

> I can certainly volunteer to keep an eye on the www-validator list to watch
> for any mathml-related problems that are reported there.

It would be more helpful if you could notify us whenever the DTDs are
updated.

I guess the basic problem is we never expected DTDs to change without
it showing in their PUBLIC and SYSTEM IDs, so we're not geared up for
automatic mirroring.  I'm wondering what would be the implication of
setting up a cron job to fetch the whole lot weekly or something?

--
Nick Kew