Re: Universal Stylesheet broken with IE5.5?

David Carlisle wrote:
> IE5.5 doesn't by default have an XSLT engine so most of the XSLT
> collection won't work unless you have installed msxml3 in replace mode,
> when it should work (that's the system they were developed on)

Right.  Unfortunately, I haven't figured out a server-side way to detect
whether they have msxml3 installed :(

> pmathml.xsl (only) does also have some code that should make its basic
> functionality (without preference settings) work using Microsoft's "XSL"
> wd-xsl dialect transformation engine that is in IE 5.5.

OK.  That explains part of it.  I was using mathml.xsl, rather
pmathml.xsl.  pmathml.xsl doesn't give a blank page, but it shows an
"empty" object.

>>Has something changed that would  break this,
>

> It's possible of course (I no longer have a 5.5 to hand) but that wasn't
> the intention. If you are using pmathml.xsl and it isn't working can you
> send me off list a sample file and I'll find a machine with 5.5 to test

OK.  I just took the sample page from the W3C site and pared it down a
bit.  There's a version using mathml.xsl at
http://rhaptos.ece.rice.edu/technology/mathml2/mathml.xml and a version
using pmathml.xsl at
http://rhaptos.ece.rice.edu/technology/mathml2/pmathml.xml

I'll send you attachments offlist, but if anyone else on the list could
hit those pages with IE5.5, I'd appreciate the feedback.

> it on, there'll be one in the building somewhere I'm sure.

Good luck.  It was more difficult than I thought to track down a version
of 5.5 for testing.  Simply backing down 6.0 wasn't sufficient since
that leaves msxml3 in place.  You have to remove that manually.  Plus I
had an expired copy of techexplorer I couldn't seem to uninstall....

-- Brent

"The programmer, like the poet, works only slightly removed from pure
  thought-stuff.  He builds his castles in the air, from air, creating
  by exertion of the imagination.  Few media of creation are so
  flexible, so easy to polish and rework, so readily capable of
  realizing grand conceptual structures."
                         -- Frederick Brooks, Jr., The Mythical Man Month