[Patrice Treton <patrice.treton@ac-rouen.fr>] Putting maths on the web

[de-HTMLised. - Max.]

To: www-math@w3.org
From: Patrice Treton <patrice.treton@ac-rouen.fr>
Subject: [Moderator Action] Putting maths on the web

Hello,
Here at last, Math on the web !
What a surprise when I found your page 'Putting mathematics on the
Web with MathML' at http://www.w3.org/Math/XSL/.
I immediately followed the instructions and could write a page with
MathML, readable with Mozilla/Netscape 7 and Internet Explorer, as
described.
However, I met the following problems which are a bit annoying, as I
whish I could use MathML on a regular basis from now on.

- How can entities as &eacute; or &plusmn; be recognized ?
  As I write in french, having no accent is awkward even for
ordinary text.
  What needs to be added to the example file below (I only use
presentation MathML) ?
  I tried to add :
    PUBLIC '-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 2.0//EN'
'http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/dtd/xhtml-math11-f.dtd'

  in the DOCTYPE part of the file below. It solves the problem for
Mozilla, but not for IE which doesn't like it.
- Is there a way to select MathPlayer as MathML renderer on IE, but CSS
on Mozilla ?
  Or can one define an ordered list : MathPlayer first, CSS second,
for instance ?
- The attribute : display='block' isn't interpreted correctly
with IE. Is this normal ?
- Will the files pmathml.xls and pmathmlcss.xls change in the future ?

  If so, could there be a 'official' web page, where we
could check the version and download them if necessary ?
Thanks,
Patrice Treton
Math teacher.
---------------------- Sample xml with MathML