Re: <ci> with <sep/>

Clare,

    The <sep/> element only comes into play with explicit
representation of numbers - inside of <cn> tags.  It is
not allowed inside of <ci> tags.

While one might imagine a markup such as

the association of x with a type would be implicit in
the construct and the recommendation generally avoids
inferring types from position.  The cn tag use of <sep/>
was a consession to the special needs of actual numeric data.

Your best bet for a symbolic representation of complex-cartesian
coordinates is something like

    <apply><csymbol definitionURL="complex-cartesian"/>
        <ci type="real">x</ci>
        <ci type="real">y</ci>
    </apply>

It is especially helpful if the definitionURL point to some
standard definition such as an entry in an OpenMath dictionary.

Stan Devitt