Re: Time

On Thu, 11 Apr 1996, Magnus Mengelbier wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, Daniel DuBois wrote:
>
> > Is the time field in GMT or local time?  If it's "loggers choice", should
> > there be a way in embed that info in the file?
>
> I suspect it would be easiest to let the logger choose.  If that is the
> case, I would probably prefer that information as to GMT or local be
> given somewhere in the log.  A reference to time zone in the log preamble
> or including the zone stamp next to the time reference, 1304GMT.  If no
> reference is given to the time zone, there is a problem if we combine
> logs in an analysis.

I would recommend the existing CLF designation of GMT offset:

03:02:24 -0400 is the same thing as 07:02:24 GMT
and doesn't require a time-zone lookup table as would the equivalent
03:02:24 EDT

Of course it would save space to not put the offset in every entry. A
preamble reference should suffice, plus an inline reference whenever
daylight savings kicks in or out.

James Calloway, General Manager                     http://www.nando.net
Nando.net, a McClatchy New Media company
127 W. Hargett St., Suite 406, Raleigh, NC 27601-1351
Voice: (919) 836-2858  FAX: (919) 829-8924