Re: Library 5.0a : Feedback & Questions

At 03:53 PM 10/20/96 -0600, Adam Jack wrote:
>On Sun, 20 Oct 1996, Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:
>
>Henrik,
>
>Many thanks for your feedback. I apologize if you feel that I did not do your
>documentation justice.

No - not at all, and the reason for referring to it explicitly was infact
that I just updated some it as I read your mail!

>> At 08:24 AM 10/20/96 -0600, Adam Jack wrote:
>>
>> >Ok -- so I am 'rolling my own' project ('cos I don't know how to import
>> >your .mak file) and I opted (initially) to avoid the DLL configuration,
>> >hoping for simplicity. I added all the .c files to the project & set
>> >_CONSOLE.
>>
>> There are in fact make files for MSVC++4.0 which I assume will also work
>> for 4.2. These files are referenced from
>>
>> 	http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/INSTALL.html
>>
>I knew this -- but as I said, I did not know how to import a make file (.mak)
>into a Microsoft project (.mdp). I expected that this was the source of a
>few problems -- which is why I mentioned it. I will go look at VC++ docs to
>figure this out.

Oh - you can just open the make file with MS developer's studio and it will
then create a project directly from the make file. Is that what you want?

>> This is only if you want to use the default HTML parser which comes with
>> libwww. This parser is not very well maintained and has the funny interface
>> where you have to define a set of HText functions.
>
>I might still give it a go, thanks. My HTML needs are very basic -- I just
>might get asked for the list of URLS that are linked to from a document.

FYI: Line mode browser can do this using the command line flag -listref

>> The preemptive version (blocking sockets) do not need an event loop as
>> libwww in this mode blocks while waiting on IO.
>>
>Maybe I wasn't clear. W/O a WSA Startup DNS lookups fail. I only found
>WSAStartup() called from HTEventInit(). As such -- my preemptive failed
>to run *unless I called HTEventInit()*.

Eric is more into the windows event management - what would you suggest?

Thanks,

Henrik
World Wide Web Consortium, MIT/LCS NE43-356