Hi! ..AFRICA & BRAZIL Work/Travel/Study [apps NOW accepted]

RE:  Crossroads' Work/Travle/Study Program (Africa/Brazil)

Hello,

This is a request for help.  Sorry for any inconvenience by sending this
announcement to you.

We were able to obtain your address in the Internet Directorty at
//www.whowhere.com/.  We are wondering if, through your office or through
the library, we might be able to get this information about our upcoming program
into the "right hands," or circulated via E-Mail, there.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.  We hope to reach a broad of the "community."

What's new this year is that information and applications are now obtainable
ON-LINE at the E-Mail addresses, below -- as well as by writing, phoning or
faxing our office.

Participants in the Summer Program -- both Volunteers and Project
Directors/Leaders -- will come from far and wide, from several countries.

We're looking forward to great programs in Africa and Brazil, as we help to
usher in the 21st Century.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.  Sorry to bother you.

Kind regards,

LaVerne & Cecil

Office: 212-870-2106
Afriq2000@Aol.Com

[\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ | //////////////////////////////////////]
   A    N    N    O    U    N    C    E    M    E    N    T
[\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ | //////////////////////////////////////]

    C E L E B R A T I N G    C U L T U R E    A N D    H I S T O R Y

        GLOBAL VOLUNTEERS :    A f r i c a    &    B r a z i l

 * This year's theme: "Africa & Brazil, preparing for the 21st Century"

 * New Community Development Project under development in Brazil

Summer 1997

                     Living/Working/Traveling
                Internships/Field Work/Group Projects
                        Independent Study

                    The Forgotten Human Side

     "...You will experience Africa from the inside out," as one
     participant described her experience.

     "...This is NOT an African tour."

      How to get   O N  -  L I N E   I N F O / B R O C H U R E  ?

=> Brochure & Application will be sent to you by E-Mail on request
                 (however, please include your street address, in case our
                 equipment malfunctions)

     E-Mail your request (with your full snailmail address) to BOTH:

                "Summer Info UPDATE"<crw@loop.com>,
              "Brochure/Application"<OcaInc@aol.com>

 [Simply cut and paste these addresses directly into your "TO: " field]

                  or contact our office directly
                     by letter, phone or fax :

       O P E R A T I O N   C R O S S R O A D S   A F R I C A

        475 Riverside Dr., N.Y., N.Y. 10115-0050, Suite 831
             212-870-2106 OFFICE / 212-870-2055 FAX

Thank you,

LaVerne Brown

Executive Administration
Operation Crossroads Africa, Inc
Phone: 212-870-2106  [ M-F 10am-4pm EST ]
E-Mail: Afriq2000@Aol.Com

Cecil R. Washington, Jr.
Consultant
Distance Learning/Electronic Education

-Since 1958, 10,000 Crossroads participants (students, professionals,
     persons with skills, persons of goodwill..and others) have worked for
     a stronger Africa..and for a better world

-Students usually arrange with their schools to receive credit (typically 7
     to 13 units) for their summer experience

-Crossroads participants go to Africa NOT to impose their own Western
     values, but to seek comprehension of African values; they are
     challenged to adjust to local ways of doing many things

-President Kennedy cited Crossroads for providing the example that
     "inspired" the creation of the Peace Corps

APPLICATION DEADLINE:  Due now, during coming weeks (cut off has not yet
                          been announced) / late applications will be
                           accepted as space and time permit

PROGRAM DATES:         End of June through mid-August (approximate dates)

ORIENTATION:           There will be a several-day Orientation in New York
                           prior to leaving.  All participants start from
                           and end in New York, unless other arrangements
                           have been made well in advance

-FUND-RAISING: Crossroads staff and alumni offer a hand to participants
     in raising the necessary funds for travel and living expenses

       => contributions made on behalf of participants are tax-deductible
       => the earlier one applies, the better, in order to raise the funds

-This is an INTENSE living, work and learning experience at the grassroots
     level in Africa & Brazil where some of the modern conveniences taken
     for granted in Western countries, will not be present

-Project  D I R E C T O R S / Group  L E A D E R S  go thru a separate
     application process with earlier deadlines [min. age, 26-must have
     relevant expertise, experience directing group projects, living
     and/or travel experience in Africa or a similar setting].  To
     receive the application and job description, snailmail or fax us
     a note ("attn: LaVerne Brown" - do NOT E-Mail).  Include a *very
     brief* one-paragraph description of your interests and background.
     Be sure to send us your snailmail address & phone.  Thank you.

Operation Crossroads Africa sponsors several categories of projects:

a) community development/construction; b) agricultural/farming/irrigation/
reforestation; c) archaeology/anthropology/art; d) primary medicine/public
health projects e) wildlife/fisheries management [under development];
f) distance learning/computer literacy program, aimed at providing young
adults with hands-on exposure to computers, E-Mail and the Internet, as well
as cost-effective education at multiple levels; g) African music/musical
instruments: the role of music in traditional and contemporary societies
[under development]; h) teaching English/turoting

For a detailed  U P D A T E  on the Ghana Distance Learning Program, please
send E-Mail with "GHANA: Electronic Education" in the Subject Field, to
crw@loop.com

C O U N T R I E S: Botswana, The Gambia, Ghana, Eritrea, Ivory Coast, Kenya,
Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe and (in South America)
Brazil (this project is under development-details will be announced)

       O P E R A T I O N   C R O S S R O A D S   A F R I C A

        475 Riverside Dr., N.Y., N.Y. 10115-0050, Suite 831
    212-870-2106 [OFFICE] / 212-870-2055 [FAX] / OcaInc@Aol.Com

               ...a non-profit org: IRS 501(c)(3)

NEEDED: Tax-deductible contributions of
        computer equipment (all kinds,